Words from books...(34)

Sometimes, I worry that I'm not the hero everyone thinks I am. The philosophers assure me that this is the time, that the signs have been met. But I still wonder if they have the wrong man. So many people depend on me. They say I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms. What would they think if they knew that their champion - the Hero of Ages, their savior - doubted himself? Perhaps they wouldn't be shocked at all. In a way, this is what worries me most. Maybe, in their hearts, they wonder - just as I do. When they see me, do they see a liar?

"New tastes are like new ideas, young man - the older you get, the more difficult they are for you to stomach."

If men read these words, let them know that power is a heavy burden. Seek not to be bound by its chains. 

"Though to be honest, I wasn't planning anything quite so dramatic. It was almost more of an accident than anything else."
Dockson raised an eyebrow. "How do you 'accidentally' kill a noblemen in his own mansion?"
"With a knife in the chest," Kelsier said lightly. "Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest - it always pays to be careful."

"My dear friend," Breeze replied, "the entire point of life is to find ways to get others to do your work for you. Don't you know anything about basic economics?"

"You're insane!" she said quietly. Kelsier smiled. "I do think that's the second time today you've said that to me. You need to pay better attention - if you'd been listening to everyone else, you'd know that my sanity departed long ago."

"Well," Breeze said, "let us begin, then. First, you must understand that Soothing is about more than just Allomancy. It's about the delicate and noble art of manipulation."
"Noble indeed," Vin said. 
"Ah, you sound like one of them," Breeze said.
"Them who?"
"Them everyone else."

"And you didn't tell me?"
Kelsier winked, pulling the door shut. 
"I figured I still owed you for surprising me in that alleway last week."
"How very adult of you," Vin said flatly.
"I've always been very confident in my immaturity."

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I'd remained there, in that lazy village of my birth. I'd have become a smith, like my father. Perhaps I'd have a family, sons of my own. Perhaps someone else would have come to carry this terrible burden. Someone who could bare it far better than I. Someone who deserved to be a hero.

"What did you do at this parties before you had me to pester?" she asked in an annoyed tone.
"See, now, how can I be pestering you?" he asked. "I mean, really, Vallete. I'm just sitting here, reading queitly to myself."

He forced himself to smile - not out of pleasure, and not out of satisfaction. He smiled despite the grief he felt at the deaths of his men; he smiled because that was what he did. That was how he proved to the Lord Ruler - and to himself - that he wasn't beaten.

"Now, see, I didn't say that was a bad thing," Elend said, smiling. "Why, I'd say that it is a lady's courtly duty to be a bit dilatory. It does gentelmen good to be forced to wait upon a woman's whims - or, so my mother was always fond of telling me."
"It sounds like she was a wise woman," Vin said.

She'd miss it - she'd miss it all. But, Sazed was right. She couldn't stop the progression of time, she could only enjoy the moment.

"I don't know," Vin said. "Once, maybe I would have thought you a fool, but... well, that's kind of what trust is, isn't it? A willful self-delusion? You have to shut out that voice that whispers about betrayal, and just hope that your friends aren' going to hurt you."

"Belief isn't simply a thing for fair times and bright days, I think. What is belief - what is faith - if you don't continue in it after failure?"

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

Comentarii